Monday 19 February 2018

A Mild Candy Afternoon

"Stone" colony bees hard at work
Candy in fridge boxes ready for 5 hives
I feed candy and wet cappings in these boxes, turned upside-down over the feed hole in the crown board. In this way I don't need to lift the board, or place eke in the hive, and I can easily see the rate the candy is being eaten.
I'm pleased I wore my suit and veil today. Every colony, "Stone", "Silver", "Blue/red", "Moss" and "Yellow"were busy spring-cleaning. Stone and Moss were bringing in pollen (small quantities but it's a start!). I will give these two some pollen patties to help them out if the weather stays mild.
When I change the empty fridge box for a full one I often find the bees have built me an amazing beeswax sculpture. Off to make up more frames. QBzz

So this is what they've been doing this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment